Bob’s Lunch was established in 1947 by Bob & Dick Hicks, and has been a local favorite for many years. The restaurant was originally located across the street from what is now known as “Greg’s Market” on Jefferson Avenue.
In 1952 the Hicks brothers moved the business to its current location at 800 3rd Street, where it has become a favorite stop for many Moundsville natives. In the late 1950’s Mitzi Kimberly, who had been the Chef at Bob’s Lunch, purchased the hometown diner and grew the business successfully. As time went on Bob’s Lunch was later sold to Ray and Patty Blake who ran it for 5 years.
- In 1994 Gary Workman, a faithful customer, had the opportunity to purchase the diner, and did so with his wife at the time until the late 1990’s. The business had been closed for almost three years when Gary decided to purchase the property again in 2011, this time on his own.Gary had grown up in the town of Moundsville, West Virginia and graduated from John Marshall High School.
He had always enjoyed seeing the generations of familiar faces that walked through the doors of Bob’s Lunch. Gary and his staff keep things simple. The menu options haven’t changed too much throughout years, but Gary did add a couple sandwiches that are similar to a few “Elby’s Big Boy” items. (A popular local franchise, that closed down well over 20 years ago.)
As business grew, Gary retired from American Electric Power where he worked as a Meter Technician for over 37 years. Bob’s Lunch has grown so rapidly over the past few years, that Gary decided to start catering both small and large local events around the Upper Ohio Valley.
His love for his community and his dedication to his restaurant has shown through the growth of the business.